Q: How do I file a claim?

A: We offer two convenient ways for you to file a claim:

  1. By phone: Call us at 1-866-621-4823 and follow the menu prompts for Claims. Once you have reported a claim we will contact you and provide additional information regarding your claim and the claim process.
  2. Online: Click here to log in or create an online account. In addition to submitting a claim, you will also be able to view your policy, coverage types and limits, and much more.

Q: What are my responsibilities after a loss?

A: Your responsibilities will differ depending on your claim. Most importantly, notify us promptly to file a claim. In addition:

  • Take any reasonable and necessary measures to protect your home from additional damage.
  • Inventory and take photos of the damages whenever possible.
  • Save all receipts to present to your adjuster to determine if the expenses are covered under your policy.
  • When appropriate, contact local police or fire authorities.
  • Do not discard any property related to the loss; save any parts, appliances, water lines, service technician reports and receipts, or any other items or documents that may show how the loss occurred.
  • If your claim involves injuries or damage to property belonging to another person, please provide the names and contact information for any individuals who may have been present or who may have any information regarding the incident.

Additional information can be found in the section of your policy labeled "Your Duties After Loss."

You may also be responsible for a deductible. See explanation under Policy Term Definitions and review your policy for additional information.

Q: How will my claim be adjusted?

A: There are different types of adjusters who may play a role in handling an insurance claim. Most commonly, the insurance company employs desk adjusters who serve as your contact person throughout the claim process, make coverage determinations (sometimes with the assistance of supervisors), and issue checks or letters describing a denial of coverage.

Depending on the type and extent of the damages to your property, we may require a home inspection. In that case, one of our field adjusters will contact you to schedule the inspection. The field adjuster will create an estimate for damage to your property. Your desk adjuster will compare the inspection estimate to your policy to determine if coverage is available for your damages. If the loss is covered under the terms and conditions of your policy, then your desk adjuster will review a settlement with you and provide you with a copy of the estimate.

Your claim may be assigned to an independent adjusting company that is hired by Homesite to perform the desk and field adjusting duties described above. In that case, the independent adjusting company will contact you to schedule and perform the inspection, write the estimate, and contact you directly to discuss the settlement of your claim. The Homesite Claims Department can be reached at 866-621-4823 if you require any assistance in contacting the independent adjusting company to handle your claim.

You may also engage a public adjuster to represent you in the claim handling process. Public adjusters are paid by you, even though these funds sometimes come from the settlement amount paid to you by the insurance company. Some companies act as both a public adjuster and a contractor. In these scenarios, however, a possible conflict of interest may arise if the public adjuster fee is based on the rate being charged by the contractor. Any contractor that seeks to give advice, advocate or negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company, prepare a claim, or give advice about coverage based upon a review of your insurance policy is acting as a public adjuster and may require a license from the state.

Insurance producers, or sales agents, may serve as a way for you to communicate details regarding your loss to us. While insurance producers are not able to make coverage determinations, they are able to collect loss details to transmit to us with your contact information so that we can begin the claims handling process.

Q: What if my contractor says the settlement amount is low or finds additional damages?

A: It is your responsibility to choose a contractor. We may be able to recommend a contractor depending on your location and the extent of repairs required. Click here to view a list of our preferred contractors or ask your adjustor for recommendations. It is always your choice as to which contractor you would like to use to complete repairs.

Q: Will Homesite send a contractor out to complete the repairs?

A: It is your responsibility to choose a contractor. We may be able to recommend a contractor depending on your location and the extent of repairs required. Click here to view a list of our preferred contractors or ask your adjustor for recommendations. It is always your choice as to which contractor you would like to use to complete repairs.

Q: I live in a condo; do I need to notify the association of my damages?

A: Yes. In most cases, the Master Insurance Policy that covers the condominium community is the primary insurance for damages to the exterior or common property. Your personal condo insurance will apply to damages to property and possessions within your condo. Notify your condo association immediately in the event of damage so they can determine if a claim should be filed through the Master Insurance Policy. In addition, you may be asked to provide a copy of your Condo Association Bylaws and Condo Association Master Policy Declarations Sheet. This information should be available to you through your Condo Association and may be needed for the handling of your claim.

Q: What is Recoverable Depreciation?

A: In certain claim settlements, a portion of the settlement is withheld depending on the language in your specific policy under the Loss Settlement section. This is done to ensure that the reported damages are in fact repaired or replaced. The portion of the settlement that is withheld is known as "Recoverable Depreciation" and is based on the reasonable amount that was actually paid for you to repair, rebuild, or replace the covered damages. Please note that not every claim will involve recoverable depreciation; your claims adjuster will let you know if this will apply to your settlement.

If you're entitled to recover the withheld depreciation, you will need to submit copies of your invoices and receipts to repair, rebuild, or replace the covered damages, as well as proof of payment. Please forward this information to your adjuster once you have repaired or replaced your damaged property.

Please note that the requirements for recovering the withheld depreciation vary state by state and we urge you to review your specific policy and all its endorsements to make sure you follow the necessary steps to obtain the recoverable depreciation. If you have any questions or concerns, you can always contact your adjuster.