Additional Coverages


Your policy may provide Additional Coverages such as Debris Removal; Reasonable Repairs; Trees, Shrubs and Other Plants; Fire Department Service Charge; Property Removed; Credit Card, Fund Transfer Card, Forgery and Counterfeit Money; Loss Assessment; Collapse; Glass or Safety Glazing Material; and Landlord's Furnishings. These Additional Coverages may have separate applicable limits and coverage exceptions. Please see your policy or ask your adjuster to discuss any Additional Coverages that may apply to your claim.

Coverage A - Dwelling coverage

Coverage A - Dwelling Coverage provides coverage for the dwelling on the "residence premises" shown on your Declarations page, including structures attached to the dwelling and materials and supplies located on or next to the "residence premises" used to construct, alter or repair the dwelling or other structures on the "residence premises". This coverage does not apply to land, including land on which the dwelling is located.

Coverage B - Other Structures coverage

Coverage B - Other Structures coverage provides coverage for other structures on the "residence premises" shown on your Declarations page set apart from the dwelling by clear space. This includes structures connected to the dwelling by only a fence, utility line, or similar connection. This coverage does not apply to land, including land on which the other structures are located.

Please note that we do not cover other structures used in whole or in part for business or rented or held for rental to any person not a tenant of the dwelling, unless used solely as a private garage. Please see your policy or ask your adjuster to discuss Special Limits of Liability.

Coverage C - Personal Property coverage

Coverage C - Personal Property coverage provides coverage for personal property owned or used by an insured while it is anywhere in the world. Please note that coverage for some categories of personal property may be limited.

Coverage D - Loss of Use coverage

Coverage D - Loss of Use coverage may be available when a covered loss causes you to incur additional costs because you cannot use part of your home or need to live elsewhere while repairs are being completed. Depending on your policy and state requirements, you may be entitled to Additional Living Expenses or Fair Rental Value.

Additional Living Expense coverage is designed to cover the necessary increase in costs you incur to maintain your standard of living. It may be necessary for you to document your normal expenses because your Additional Living Expense claim will be reduced by the amount of your normal living expenses.

Fair Rental Value coverage pays you for the fair rental value of the part of the "residence premises" where you reside less any expenses that do not continue while the premises is not fit to live in.

*Both Additional Living Expense coverage and Fair Rental Value coverage are generally available only for the length of time it takes to complete the repairs or replace the premises or settle your household elsewhere.

The following items are examples of what may be covered under the policy as additional living expenses, if you incur any such expenses as a result of a covered loss:

  • The increased cost of restaurant meals made necessary by damage or repairs to your kitchen, when you continue occupying the remainder of your home.
  • The increased cost of meals while you are staying in hotels or other quarters that do not have cooking facilities.
  • Rental of a portable sanitation unit if your home's toilet facilities are unusable, but you continue to occupy the remainder of your home.
  • The cost of a hotel, motel, apartment, or rental home and any resulting moving and storage expenses, if your home is uninhabitable.
  • The cost of transferring utilities such as electricity, gas, water, cable, telephone, etc., to your temporary quarters and then back to your property once repairs are completed.
  • Increased household costs attributable to furniture rental, laundry, gas expenses, etc.

This list is not intended to include all items that could be covered under Additional Living Expense coverage. If you foresee other areas of increased living expenses, please contact your adjuster to discuss.

It is important to keep any rental or lease agreements and all receipts that relate to your increased costs for Additional Living Expenses.


A deductible is the amount you pay when you have a loss caused by a covered event. The deductible reduces your total claim payout. Your policy may have additional deductibles associated with different types of events, such as a separate deductible for losses caused by wind. For example, if you select a $500 deductible on your home and have a covered theft loss valued at $1,500, you are responsible for $500 of the cost to replace stolen items. The insurer pays the remaining $1,000. Please note that depreciation may also apply and could be withheld in addition to your deductible. Please refer to your policy's declarations page to confirm your deductible amount. Take note of any special deductibles that may apply to certain loss types, e.g. wind/hail, hurricane, etc. These special deductibles may be a flat dollar amount or a percentage of your dwelling coverage limit.